Disclaimer

Disclaimer: These reviews reflect my own prejudices & personal experiences. Be your own judge - try them yourself & create your own experiences.

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Orchid's

Best for: Brunch, View
Location: Halekulani

kalua pork omelet and lomi lomi tomato
I'm not a huge fan of this place, but I come here when I've gone to Plumeria Beach House too often. Orchid's and Plumeria are similar in many ways, and not just because they are both named after flowers. Both are located in Honolulu's two best hotels, the Kahala and Halekulani, both are pretty pricey, and both are beachfront. Now I will tell you why Plumeria is so much better (and I swear I'm not biased just because I'm from Kahala).


First of all, Halekulani is in Waikiki. It happens to be in a serene, secluded part of Waikiki, but you're still just steps from throngs of tourists from who knows where. The Kahala Hotel is located at the end of a ritzy street of a residential neighborhood. No unwanted tourists from the Hilton, no locals who bum around the beach all day.

classic eggs benedict
Secondly, Plumeria offers a completely unobstructed view of the ocean. By this I mean you can literally get out of your chair, lie on the ground, and start rolling until you are on the beach. If you please. Orchid's claims to be beachfront, but what is the point of being beachfront when there is a 3-foot hedge blocking your view? No rolling possible here.

why is there a hedge blocking my view??
Third, Plumeria has its famous Three B's: Beachfront Brunch Buffet. No buffet at Orchid's. For that, you'll have to go to the other Halekulani restaurant, House Without a Key, which doesn't really belong in the same sentence as Plumeria.

Well, we got an unobstructed view of the next restaurant
Now that I've criticized this place sufficiently, I will tell you that it is a lovely beachfront restaurant in Waikiki. Usual breakfast food presented beautifully, and you can listen to the waves while you dine. Also, Orchid's is highly rated for dinner, so perhaps I should be coming here when the sun goes down instead.