Disclaimer

Disclaimer: These reviews reflect my own prejudices & personal experiences. Be your own judge - try them yourself & create your own experiences.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Beachhouse at the Moana

Best for: Beachside Brunch, Dessert, View
Location: Moana Surfrider

There are people blocking my view!
This is my second favorite place for beachside brunching, after Plumeria. The Beachhouse is located at the Moana Surfrider, the oldest hotel in Hawaii. It's a beautiful, wedding cake-esque hotel. Speaking of wedding cakes, you will definitely see at least one wedding while you're here, which is to be expected.

Tahitian Vanilla French Toast
I usually order the Tahitian Vanilla French Toast ($16), which is served with whipped honey-rum butter. The toast has a bit of a crisp to it, which I love and makes me wonder if the batter contains some granola. My only complaint is that the beach is somewhat far from the tables. The outside portion (where I usually sit) is a long narrow patio, so only about 3 tables are actually right by the water. You can see the ocean, but there will be some heads blocking your view. Also, I'd like to see sand along with my ocean (hence the beach in beachhouse). However, the food, service, and general atmosphere make up for it.


Besides brunch, I also come here for dessert and prefer to sit on their low, cushy chairs closer to the entrance since you can't see the ocean at night anyway. Their Kona Coffee Spring Rolls ($11) are made with Kona coffee and chocolate in a crispy spring roll wrapper served with a grand marnier and white chocolate dipping sauce. You really can't go wrong with Kona coffee, chocolate, and grand marnier. Try their Dark Rum Creme Brulee (also $11), a vanilla custard infused with spiced dark rum and a torched caramel crust. Live music, great service, and delicious Hawaiian-inspired desserts are the perfect way to end a night in Waikiki.