Disclaimer

Disclaimer: These reviews reflect my own prejudices & personal experiences. Be your own judge - try them yourself & create your own experiences.

Monday, September 19, 2011

Doraku

Best for: Americanized Japanese food
Location: Waikiki

 

Doraku isn't very authentic, but this sushi chain from Miami offers exactly what I expect of anything from South Beach: a fun environment. (Florida should really stick to Caribbean food and leave the Asian to us.) Located on the third floor of the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center, some of the tables are located on an outside patio and overlook the Royal Grove - perfect for dates, while the rest of the seating remains inside - perfect for parties. There are a variety of seating options here: some square tables, high bars, and booths that can seat 4 people. As someone currently in an urban planning phase, I think more mid-range restaurants (and cities) should adopt this - diversity is always better.

Lara and her pickled vegetables
Mariah had the misoyaki butterfish ($13.50), and since butterfish happens to be my favorite fish, I helped myself to her plate. It was pretty good - not the best I've ever had, but it's miso butterfish, so you can't really go wrong.

red dragon roll
I decided to order something that I would never order at an authentic Japanese restaurant: the red dragon roll ($13.50). As American as you can get. I was pleasantly surprised by the different flavors and textures of the spicy tuna, shrimp tempura, and avocado, topped with unagi, red tobiko, tobiko sauce, and spicy aioli. It wasn't spicy enough for me, but that's because I like my food hot. The sushi definitely isn't as well-made as most places in Hawaii, but the prices are great, the crowd is lively, and the location can't be beat.