Disclaimer

Disclaimer: These reviews reflect my own prejudices & personal experiences. Be your own judge - try them yourself & create your own experiences.

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Imanas Tei

Best for: Traditional Japanese, Izakaya
Location: Puck's Alley

 
You know I really like you when I let you order my meal, especially when you're ordering things like sea urchin and beef tongue. In a previous post [about Nobu], I had established that if any place could get me to eat things I normally wouldn't, it would be at a good Japanese restaurant. So when I went to Imanas Tei for the first time with one of the few people whose impeccable taste I'd trust with my life, I knew I was in for a treat and in good hands.


After hearing horror stories about the inevitably long wait before being seated, I was amazed that Mizuki and I only ended up sitting on the outside bench for about 3 minutes, and were then taken past the crowds to a table that seats four. Nice! I guess it helps coming with someone fluent in Japanese.  

We started off with a couple of drinks: a grapefruit chu-hi and a sweet potato sake. Not bad.

seafood salad
We ordered the grilled beef tongue, some maki, a salmon skin hand roll, hamachi kama (broiled yellowfin ahi collar), and seafood salad. My first grilled beef tongue and hamachi kama! Both were amazing. The grilled beef tongue is sliced thinly, cooked just right, and perfected with a splash of lemon. My salmon skin hand roll was one of the most beautiful handrolls I've ever seen, with tobiko (flying fish caviar) and long shreds of daikon artistically sticking out. The hamachi kama has so much flavor, and the meat falls off the bone when you pick at it with chopsticks. 

grilled beef tongue
salmon skin hand roll
hamachi kama (broiled yellowfin ahi collar)
Time for round two of drinks. This time I ordered something safe, a plum wine on the rocks. Perfect. Mizuki ordered a sake, which was actually served in the traditional masu, a box made of hinoki or sugi. The server put a glass inside the box and poured the sake until it overflowed and filled both containers. Now that is how to drink sake!

the proper way to drink sake
We ordered even more dishes: abalone and mackerel, uni nigiri (sea urchin sushi), and tataki bonito (seared ahi). My first time for all three dishes! The abalone has an interesting texture that I'm still getting used to, but the mackerel was delicious. As Mizuki instructed, "Eat the abalone with wasabi, and the mackerel with ginger." Good advice. Watching me attempt to slurp down an uni nigiri is one of the funniest (or maybe most disgusting?) thing you can do; I'll have to work on that. It's creamy and smooth - characteristics I would never expect from such a spiny little creature.

our beautiful abalone and mackerel dish
uni nigiri (sea urchin) - not something I'll be ordering on a first date
Despite being packed the entire time we were there, service was always efficient and graciously put up with our multiple orders and my indecisiveness. Towards the end of our meal, our adorably clueless waiter - as in, it's a good thing he's cute because he's also kind of clueless - came over and sheepishly told us, "By the way, you two look very beautiful tonight." Wow. I wonder how he could sense the generous tip Mizuki was planning to give him. 


Dozens of people have called Imanas Tei the "best Japanese restaurant in Hawaii." While I could easily say the same, Mizuki has warned me that there are a couple more places I still need to try, so I'll hold off on definitives until then. Our bill came out to about $115, excluding tip. Definitely worth it, considering the ambiance, number of dishes ordered, and quality of food. Even more important, I broadened my palette and thus more fully appreciate another culture - and that in itself is one of the greatest achievements in life.