Disclaimer

Disclaimer: These reviews reflect my own prejudices & personal experiences. Be your own judge - try them yourself & create your own experiences.

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Goma Tei

Best for: Ramen, Gyoza
Location: Ala Moana


I always forget that Goma Tei exists because it's located on the ground floor of Ala Moana, a floor I tend to avoid. However, it's great when I do remember because Goma Tei happens to be my second favorite ramen place (after Yotteko-Ya). You can tell they take their ramen seriously because their spoons are those huge wooden ones.


It's a fairly large space, with half of the restaurant dedicated to tables and the other half dedicated to a double counter with a walkway in the middle for the waiters, which is a pretty cool arrangement. I usually order the gyoza ($6.25), which is stuffed with fresh pork and vegetables, cooked just right to provide the perfect amount of crisp on the outside and warm filling on the inside. You create your own dipping sauce using the various ingredients on each table. Next I order the char siu tan tan ramen ($9), which is a hearty, slightly spicy broth with juicy pieces of char siu. There are other ramen variations, such as chicken or seafood. Service is always efficient.