Disclaimer

Disclaimer: These reviews reflect my own prejudices & personal experiences. Be your own judge - try them yourself & create your own experiences.

Sunday, December 4, 2011

JJ Bistro & French Pastry

Best for: Dessert
Location: Kaimuki
Foodgasmic dish: Chocolate pyramid

chocolate pyramid and a complimentary coffee-chocolate macaron
My family and I have been coming here since it opened about a decade ago. JJ has watched me grow up, just as I've seen his two daughters grow up. JJ is a master pastry chef, originally from Laos, educated in New York, and now famous in Hawaii due to his desserts. His most famous dessert is the one that I always get: the chocolate pyramid. This is a pyramid of chocolate mousse, sitting on a thin layer of dense chocolate cake and covered in chocolate powder. The whole rich concoction melts in your mouth. Foodgasm!

pistachio cherry brandy pastry and some coffee
There are, of course, many other desserts, all of which are less than $5. Ten years after opening, and we still haven't tried all of JJ's creations. But we haven't had a bad one yet. It is certainly difficult to try new things when you have already fallen in love with a few (isn't that life?).


Besides desserts, JJ's is open for lunch and dinner, both of which are French/Laotian fusion and pretty good, but desserts are definitely his specialty. JJ has expanded a lot since he first opened - more than double the size.

Lao pizza: chili basil chicken, onion, red bell peppers, and zucchini ($7)
Last night I brought my brother here for dinner to watch the Kaimuki Christmas parade. JJ's wife recognized Sam and me as soon as we came in and gave us some complimentary corn chowder, served in adorable penguin-in-a-suit bowls. I wasn't that hungry so I ordered the Laos pizza, with chili basil chicken, onions, red bell peppers, and zucchini. The crust was nice and crispy, and you can't go wrong with chili basil chicken. JJ is a pastry chef, so of course his pizzas would be perfect little pan sizes, like the ones found at Pizza Hut - but much better, of course. Sam had a pepperoni pizza, while Anthony had the House Special Pizza, with green curry sauce, chicken, onion, red bell peppers, zucchini, and eggplant. Curry is an interesting ingredient to add to pizza. I like it, but I can understand why it might be a little strange to some people. Anthony was craving something crunchy, so he ordered the Baked Lobster Avocado, which came with three slices of French bread topped with lobster meat and mozzarella, surrounding arugula and an avocado aioli placed in the center. He got that crunch he was craving, and I got to eat baked lobster. It was a very good choice.

Baked Lobster Avocado: lobster meat with avocado aioli on French bread and mozzarella ($8)

For dessert, I disappointed my brother by ordering another chocolate pyramid. And coffee. Just black. You know a dessert is good when I don't add cream and sugar to the coffee.

red velvet, a chocolate pyramid, and two fruit pastries that I don't remember