Disclaimer

Disclaimer: These reviews reflect my own prejudices & personal experiences. Be your own judge - try them yourself & create your own experiences.

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Yard House

Best for: Happy Hour, Beer, American food
Location: Waikiki

making chicken lettuce wraps
I didn't think I would ever step foot in Yard House. I don't remember exactly who instilled such an unflattering picture of Yard House into my mind so early on, but the image of a trashy, crew cut military-infested bar deterred me from ever coming, and instead convinced me to remain on the opposite side of Lewers Street and go to two of my favorites, Nobu and Lewers Lounge.

When Anthony suggested we head over to Yard House last week, I did my best to mask the initial repulsion I felt and agreed to go since his friend works there, and I always have a good time with Anthony regardless of location.

pepperoni and mushroom pizza
Most people come for the huge selection of beers on tap. The only beer I'm really passionate about is lambic (if you're one of my Reedie friends, you probably remember just how passionate I am about my pĂȘche lambic), so places like Yard House are somewhat of a waste on me. However, I tried a pint of white ale and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

Alright, Yard House, anything else you'd like to teach me about myself? 

a half-consumed serving of buffalo wings
 Anthony and I shared three dishes:
  1. Chicken lettuce wraps: stir-fried chicken, smoked tofu, pine nuts and green onions served with three dipping sauces and lettuce for wrapping. This was one of the more interesting [and fun to eat] dishes on the menu. I'm still trying to get over the fact that the Vietnamese are not the only people who wrap things in lettuce. However, you know what I'm going to say next: the Vietnamese obviously do it best.
  2. Buffalo wings. These wings were just spicy enough. There's not much you can hate about buffalo wings. And it's pretty much the only thing that I will gladly eat with ranch dressing.
  3. Pepperoni and crimini mushroom pizza. According to Anthony, even bad pizza is good. I'd agree but I've definitely had inedible pizza. In St. Louis, if I recall correctly. Fortunately, the pizza at Yard House is much better, with a nice thin crust that's perfect for folding the slice like a proper New York wannabe.

We came during happy hour, so everything was half off; otherwise, each dish would be about $12. For that price, I still would rather go to one of the many Japanese restaurants located on basically every block in Waikiki, but that's just my unabashedly Asian-centric taste talking. However, Yard House definitely confirmed a fact about myself that, deep down, I always knew: sometimes I am too judgmental for my own good. Maybe I should stop judging all the tourists from the Mainland who dine here and accept the fact that Yard House offers standard but satisfying American food, generous portions (we had food coma after sharing only three appetizers), and lots and lots of good beer. What's so wrong about that?