Disclaimer

Disclaimer: These reviews reflect my own prejudices & personal experiences. Be your own judge - try them yourself & create your own experiences.

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Olive Tree Cafe

Good for: Supporting Greece, i.e., patting yourself on the back
Location: Kahala
mussels, Greek salad, and a glass of white wine

My mom and I used to come here every time my dad had a dinner to attend because it's her one chance to eat Greek food (my dad's not a fan). The Olive Tree Cafe is a better-than-average Greek restaurant on the outskirts of Kahala Mall, at which you stand in line to order your food and wait to be called. Greek food in Hawaii is like Thai food in Portland - both are somewhat exotic but easy to eat, and thus hip, for each city. What I'd really like to see in Hawaii is more Middle Eastern food.

Ham, cheese, and pita

A few days ago, I had dinner at Olive Tree Cafe with Mizuki and Anthony around 6:30 and was amazed that a table had cleared up just in time for us. It's always packed, which is why my mom and I typically dine here right when it opens at 5. Mizuki ordered her usual mussels and salad, while Anthony and I shared the ham & cheese pita plate and two lamb dishes: souvlaki and shawarma. Mizuki went next door to Oliver and bought us two bottles of wine: a bottle of red and a bottle of white. Lamb and wine -- no wonder it was such a good night.

Lamb souvlaki and lamb shawarma. Can you tell which one is which?

Olive Tree has a low-key yet energetic atmosphere, filled with sounds from the kitchen and conversations from other tables of mostly east Honolulu residents who also crave a simple, satisfying meal. Hawaii doesn't have a large Greek population, so my standards for Greek food aren't necessarily high. That being said, Olive Tree seems to be Hawaii's best place for their food. And we all know we need to support Greece in times like these.