Disclaimer

Disclaimer: These reviews reflect my own prejudices & personal experiences. Be your own judge - try them yourself & create your own experiences.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Max's

Best for: Filipino
Location: Iwilei
Foodgasmic dish: Crispy pata

Crispy pata: deep-fried pig knuckles
My random cravings for lumpia and lechon are undeniable proof that the 3/4 of Filipino in me refuses to be silenced after constantly being nourished by all the non-Filipino food (mostly Japanese, Chinese, and that disdainful term "Asian fusion") I eat due to circumstance.

At home, my mom cooks adobo and tinola about every other month, but for all other dishes we need to dine out. There are only two Filipino restaurants we like, both of which are far from home: the first one is A's Bistro in Ewa. Yes, Ewa. We seriously drive all the way to Ewa for fried pork and pancit. It's a Filipino thing. The second one is somewhat closer, near where I used to dance ballet by Dole Cannery. It's a chain from Manila called Max's and is famous for its fried chicken. Why anyone would decide to order fried chicken here is beyond me. The chicken is good, but my family happens to go to Filipino restaurants for distinctly Filipino food.

Pancit bihon: rice noodles
Max's certainly feels like a chain, with that unmistakable institutional feel due to paper place mats and nondescript utensils. The atmosphere is always upbeat (it's Filipino, after all), with a party usually occupying the private room, which always means singing and loud laughter. By the way, I don't know why it's always so cold in here, but it seems counterintuitive to blast the air conditioner; fewer people will order the halo-halo for dessert. Unless you are my mother. She'd order halo halo during a blizzard if it's available to her.

Everything I've had here is fantastic and satisfies my every Filipino craving. Last time I was here with my family we ordered:
  1. Pancit bihon: rice noodles with vegetables, chicken, pork, and egg. The silky rice noodles were drenched in flavor from all the meat. A squeeze of lemon added just enough citrus that intensified the sweetness from the sauce.
  2. Miso sinigang with sea bass: tamarind-based sour soup with lettuce, onion, tomato, and green chili. I'm usually not a fan of sour soup (what kind of Filipino am I??), but I absolutely love the addition of miso to sinigang.
  3. Crispy pata: deep fried pig knuckles served with a soy-vinegar dip and tomatoes. Melt-in-your-mouth fat and crispy skin - need I say more?
  4. And, of course, garlic rice
Miso sinigang with sea bass
I look forward to the next time my family becomes nostalgic for our trips to the Philippines. Max's can't compare to my grandmother's cooking, but it's not a bad substitute when located 5,000+ miles away from the motherland.