Disclaimer

Disclaimer: These reviews reflect my own prejudices & personal experiences. Be your own judge - try them yourself & create your own experiences.

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Mac 24-7

Best for: Late-nite
Location: Hilton Waikiki Beach



Why oh why did it take me so long to try Mac 24-7? I blame the unappealing name. And perhaps the fact that it's located on Kuhio, a street I tend to avoid particularly when I need a place exactly like Mac 24-7, i.e., to sober up. However, if I had known that Mac 24-7 was located in a decent hotel, had purple walls, and was more than just abhorrent pancake challenges (thanks, Man vs. Food), I would have ditched all those late nights at Wailana for this place in a heartbeat.

Don't get me wrong. I still love Wailana. And, to tell you the truth, the two can't really be compared. Wailana is the epitome of a diner and costs about half as much as Mac 24-7, whereas the chic decor and music fit for a lounge put Mac 24-7 in a somewhat different category. Lesson to be learned: just because it's 24-hours doesn't mean it has to be trashy. I know, Portland, this blows your mind.




Anthony and I had come after being drenched by a torrential downpour while attempting to view the Christmas lights in downtown. We were cold and hungry, so we went where any other person at midnight would go: Waikiki. We sat at the bar, which was fine for that night, but I definitely want to try a table in the other room next time. I convinced Anthony that he wanted to share a smoked salmon benedict (not that I really need to convince anyone that they want a smoked salmon benedict) with me and ordered a coffee. I guess I'm used to the dainty portions at Orchid's and the Beachhouse, because I was overwhelmed by the epic benedict here. That English muffin must have been colossal.

smoked salmon benedict ($17)
This was my first time having a smoked salmon benedict, and, while it wasn't life-altering (I don't even remember what the smoked salmon tasted like), and the breakfast potatoes could have been crispier, the benedict hit the spot.



I'll definitely be back sometime (I just have to get drunk first so I can properly justify sobering up here), as I'm sure that guy from LOST will be, too.