Disclaimer

Disclaimer: These reviews reflect my own prejudices & personal experiences. Be your own judge - try them yourself & create your own experiences.

Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Counter

Best for: Burgers
Location: Kahala

1/3-lb burger with sauteéd mushrooms ($10.50)
I get the same thing every time I come to the Counter: a 1/3-lb beef burger on a multigrain bun, with gruyére, grilled onions and sauteéd mushrooms. I think the only ingredient I've altered is the type of sauce, which is selected from a list of almost 30 different sauces by filling in the bubble (my favorite type of multiple choice test!) on one of the disposable paper menus attached to a clipboard.



These types of endless, excessive options are somewhat wasted on people like me but are exactly what [supposedly] make America so great. Lettuce blend or organic mixed greens? Roasted green chilis or roasted red peppers? We are very particular because we can be. Choice makes humans happy...right?



Last night Anthony and I had dinner at the Counter because I had a "buy one get one free" coupon (crazy, right?) which had been mailed to my father a few days that I knew would go to waste if I didn't use it. I tried the chipotle aioli sauce with my gruyére-onion-mushroom burger. Absolutely delicious - although, I suppose that's not difficult to do with those ingredients. Anthony and I shared some fries, which were nice and thin, but I really miss Kua'aina's old french fries, which were crispy and sprinkled with parsley.

Now that's what I call medium rare
a legit old fashioned
Anthony's a snob about old fashioneds, so we were relieved when his cocktail came with all the proper components. Good job, Counter, you have now joined the ranks of Lobby Bar and Ruby Tuesday's. Apparently Anthony was in a Greek mood because he ordered his 2/3-lb burger with feta cheese and tzatziki sauce. I suppose this is a legitimate reason for having too many options - we can now cater to our every cultural craving at any moment. We both left stuffed and brought home almost half of our meal.

 

The following day, I pan fried my leftover burger and fries on low heat without oil and chopped some parsley for the fries. The bun now had a nice crisp to it, the cheese was even more melted, and the fries were properly seasoned. I've always been a fan of bringing home leftovers because 1) I hardly ever finish my meal in its entirety, and 2) I feel like a saint - it's like recycling, but tastier! But who knew leftovers could surpass the original?

my kahala plantation tea