Disclaimer

Disclaimer: These reviews reflect my own prejudices & personal experiences. Be your own judge - try them yourself & create your own experiences.

Friday, January 27, 2012

Maile's Thai Bistro

Best for: Thai
Location: Hawaii Kai

I don't know why he looks so confused either...
The first time I came to Maile's was with my parents and family friend Pathana, who was treating us to dinner because her sister owns the restaurant. While my parents were initially a bit disappointed because they thought the food was a watered-down version of what they knew Pathana could cook, they couldn't help but agree that it was good Thai food that would please the typical Hawaii diner. Not everyone wants to leave in a pool of sweat after eating a meal.

A few weeks ago, Anthony and I had just finished hiking Mariner's Ridge. Well, I call it a hike; Anthony considers it more of a stroll. However, we both agreed that we were hungry and spent the long walk back into town discussing desserts and brainstorming where we could eat for lunch. I immediately brought up Maile's, as I hadn't eaten there since my first dinner with my family, and Thai food is always a good choice after a work out (or maybe I just made that up...).


We walked in, feeling a little under-dressed, which I never am. Luckily, it was lunch time, so I don't think we offended too many people. I ordered the pad thai and iced coffee; Anthony ordered the loco moco. Pad thai and loco moco... since when did our tastes become so uncultured?? Try not to judge us -- sometimes we just crave the cliché.

pad thai ($12.90)
The pad thai was delicious and came with the ground peanuts on the side, while the bean sprouts and shredded carrots were nicely laid on top. This place was made for picky eaters! Anthony's loco moco was barely a loco moco, which is a good thing. Instead of a hamburger beef patty, it was served with minced pork stir-fried in a sizzling wok with sweet basil, bell peppers, and onions. In other words, the only reason it could be considered a loco moco at all is due to the rice and over easy egg.

loco moco, or "Pad Kapau" ($13.90)
Maile's may not be as traumatizingly delicious as the food Pathana serves at home, but we were completely satisfied with our lunch. Besides, why would we want to sweat from our meal after we'd just come from a hike?