Disclaimer

Disclaimer: These reviews reflect my own prejudices & personal experiences. Be your own judge - try them yourself & create your own experiences.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

KiMO BEAN

Best for: Coffee
Location: Waikiki



KiMO BEAN is another one of those fancy coffeeshop chains found throughout Waikiki, like Island Vintage and Honolulu Coffee. I've noticed that the best coffee in Hawaii can usually be found in touristy areas because only tourists seem to be willing to spend $4 for high quality Kona coffee. I'd like to think it's because locals just make similarly good coffee at home.

 

The first time I came to KiMO BEAN, Alec and I lucked out and found the last open table. The coffeeshop was packed, as usual, which is why I had avoided KiMO BEAN until that day. The interior is bright yellow and, unlike Honolulu Coffee and Island Vintage, doesn't go all out on a Hawaiian theme. Instead, the decor is very minimalist, which is a nice change.



The most recent time I came was right before work, and I had about half an hour to start the book about North Korea that my dad gave me for Christmas (how typical). I ordered a mocha freeze and sat outside. Drinking coffee outside on a busy street is one of my favorite pasttimes, much like hotel hopping and lounging on the beach at night. The mocha was strong, which was exciting, since I've been accustomed to watered-down sugary frappuccino drinks from Starbucks for the past few months. I may not have gotten through the first chapter of my North Korea book, but I was finally awake and energized for a long day at work.