Disclaimer

Disclaimer: These reviews reflect my own prejudices & personal experiences. Be your own judge - try them yourself & create your own experiences.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Island Vintage

Best for: Coffee
Location: Waikiki, Ala Moana
Foodgasmic dish: Kona drip, Lava chocolate


Living in Portland for four years has spoiled me, thanks to First Cup, Albina Press, Ristretto Roasters, Barista, and, of course, Stumptown - the five coffeeshops that got me through senior thesis. I didn't always like coffee. Although I had been raised by parents dependent upon it, I remained merely an avid appreciator of the smell and sound, but not the taste, of all things coffee. I always knew to wake up when my mom turned on the coffee grinder, and I still look forward to nights during which my dad brings out the espresso machine from the dining room cabinet. 


It wasn't until my junior year at Reed that I started to like the taste of coffee. Actually, I didn't just like it, I needed it. My walk across campus to the library was incomplete without first stopping by the student-run campus coffeeshop, the Paradox, to pick up an 8-oz drip, and even my weekend excursions into town always included a trip to one of the many coffeeshops around Portland.




Of course, real coffee aficionados, e.g. my dad, will claim that I don't really like coffee, since I always add cream and sugar. It's a legitimate criticism, just like I judge those who eat milk chocolate. However, this was before I tried the coffee at Island Vintage.

You can bring home a bag of Kona coffee. Or honey. Or sugar. Or jam. Or tea.

I had been to Island Vintage many times, but I usually indulged in a lava chocolate drink or some other gluttonous iced beverage. Then, one day, I joined my parents for a snack at the Island Vintage in Ala Moana. My dad convinced me to order a plain 100% Kona coffee instead of my usual. So far, it was the best coffee I've ever had. Why did it take me this long to understand why people love Kona coffee?? No wonder Long's charges fifteen bucks for this stuff. The coffee was smooth and rich; cream and sugar would have tainted it.



The Island Vintage in the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center is my favorite one to go to, especially since I now work nearby. They have a small assortment of baked goods - try their chocolate croissants, but go to Honolulu Coffee for a more interesting selection of pastries (including macarons!!!).