Disclaimer

Disclaimer: These reviews reflect my own prejudices & personal experiences. Be your own judge - try them yourself & create your own experiences.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Brasserie du Vin

Best for: French
Location: Chinatown

Moules Frites ($9)
The first time I came to Brasserie du Vin was a few years ago for lunch on a Saturday with Lauren, Vania, and Kate. It was a magical experience. I had discovered the restaurant a few weeks before and decided that it was the perfect location for our girls' lunch out.

waiting for her food
We were led through the dark interior to the bright open courtyard that transported us to the countryside, filled with soft colors and hanging plants. Since it was the weekend, we had the courtyard all to ourselves. I ordered the gorgonzola and prosciutto crostini, which is still one of my favorite dishes here.
a romantic table for lovers
After that experience, I was eager to return. I've been here at least four more times, some better than others. Most of the times have been dinner during First Fridays, which is always a hectic time to come. I usually order the flatiron steak, which is grilled and cut into thin slices and roasted with garlic and a port wine demi-glace, and served with fresh greens and pommes frites.

french onion soup
My most recent time was a couple of weeks ago with Anthony. We had lucked out and arrived during their happy hour, so I ordered the Moules Frites (steamed live Penn Cove mussels, white wine, garlic and herbs, topped with pommes frites) for only $9, and the house red. Anthony had the grilled island fish, served with preserved lemon-dill creme, haricots verts and yellow wax beans, drizzled with a white balsamic vinaigrette, for only $9.50, and the house whtie. For dessert, we shared the carrot cake because I didn't want to wait 20 minutes for the chocolate soufflé. I'm so glad we made that decision because it may have been the best carrot cake either of us has had. The frosting was a generous portion of cream cheese, and the edges were covered with orange-colored shavings of something that we still can't make out but loved anyway.

Grilled island fish, served with preserved lemon-dill creme, haricots verts and yellow wax beans, drizzled with a white balsamic vinaigrette ($9.50)
Best carrot cake I've ever had
I have still never been to France (and still have no desire to go), so I don't claim to be an expert on its cuisine. However, everything I've had here is delicious, and Du Vin must be one of the best deals for French food you can get in Hawaii. Sure, you can spend a fortune at La Mer and Michel's, or you can get a satisfying, straightforward meal here. Happy hour and weekend lunches are definitely my favorite times to come because you can experience Du Vin at its best, by taking full advantage of its adorable courtyard and comforting French food.