Disclaimer

Disclaimer: These reviews reflect my own prejudices & personal experiences. Be your own judge - try them yourself & create your own experiences.

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Mr. Ojisan

Best for: Japanese lunch
Location: Kapahulu


Mr. Ojisan reminds me of Hata Restaurant - another unassuming hole-in-the-wall restaurant serving straightforward Japanese food for a good price. I ordered the mini size combo: miso ramen with 4 pieces of gyoza for $10.95. Mmmm comfort food. As usual, the mini size was perfect (maybe even a little too much?) for me. Mel ordered the tempura set, which was crispy and not too oily.


The place can get pretty busy during lunch, and Mel and I ended up chatting with the next table of elderly Japanese friends. Moments like these really make me appreciate neighborhood restaurants, in which most customers know each other but are still welcoming to those they don't know. For dessert we had zenzai, a warm azuki bean soup with mochi. Delicious!