Disclaimer

Disclaimer: These reviews reflect my own prejudices & personal experiences. Be your own judge - try them yourself & create your own experiences.

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Duc's Bistro

Best for: Vietnamese lunch
Location: Chinatown

  
After years of hearing stellar reviews about Duc's, I finally tried it for lunch last week. The day didn't start out so well; I was twenty minutes late meeting my friend because I very arrogantly decided not to write down the address of the restaurant. I walked up and down Maunakea, asking anyone who looked like they'd be able to understand my incoherent questions (due to the exhaustion and frustration that had been building up in me for the past 15 minutes). Finally, the flower shop guy told me where to go - all the way up until the flower shop on Beretania. At last!

Fresh mint iced tea ($3) and Vietnamese oolong tea ($3)
As soon as I entered Duc's, the entire restaurant somehow knew what happened because the owner exclaimed, "The princess is finally here!" and the hostess quickly led me all the way to the back where my very patient friend was waiting. The interior is lovely. The front section looks more like a wine bar, while the large back section glows with neon pink, some funky lamps, and black-and-white photographs of pictures of Vietnam.

Bo La Lot Rollups ($10), Ga Kho Braised Chicken ($15), Jasmin Rice ($2)

Restaurants that are obviously run by a family are always so endearing. The husband and wife duo came over to welcome us and hand out the menus. We ordered tea and shared Bo La Lot Rollups (minced veal wrapped in la lot leaves, broiled and served with pineapple-anchovy dipping sauce) and Ga Kho (boneless organic chicken thigh strips simmered with shallots and fish sauce). My iced tea wasn't my favorite, but the food was great. I don't know why I don't eat veal more often. The Bo La Lot came with some cold rice noodles that balanced the intense flavors of the leaves and anchovy sauce. The Ga Kho in fish sauce was so tasty.


For dessert we ordered Vietnamese coffee, tapioca (served with twice-cooked apple banana and fresh coconut cream), and a ginger walnut tart. Why is Asian coffee so good?? Oh, right. Asians [once again] do everything better. The ginger walnut tart was interesting, but the texture of the walnuts made the tart fall apart - and not in a good way.

tapioca ($7) and vietnamese coffee ($4)
ginger walnut tart ($7) and vietnamese coffee ($4)
All in all, Duc's serves a solid lunch and seems like a perfect place for a date. When we were there for lunch on Thursday, we were the only ones in the back section. I'll probably try this place for dinner sometime.