Disclaimer

Disclaimer: These reviews reflect my own prejudices & personal experiences. Be your own judge - try them yourself & create your own experiences.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Fish Hopper

Best for: Breakfast
Location: Kailua-Kona



Anthony and I met Ian on our first day in Kona, when he picked us up from the airport and dropped us off at what he assumed to be our hotel (the King Kamehameha Hotel) in Kailua-Kona. He was an awesome cab driver, overwhelming us with restaurant suggestions and driving advice on how to get to the volcanoes, all in a delightful British accent. His first restaurant suggestion, since he considerately instructed us in chronological order, was the Fish Hopper.


After spending the week prior to our trip conducting restaurant research, I recognized the Fish Hopper. It had been on my "Anthony's Birthday Breakfast" list for a couple of days, but I had eventually taken it off because I'd noticed a breaded-and-fried trend on its menu. However, Ian was very convincing, and, much to my relief, I found it easy to avoid fried seafood, especially during breakfast.


On Saturday morning, our hostel owner Annie was generous enough to drive us all the way into town and dropped us off right by the restaurant. We were seated on the balcony, with direct views of the bay. I ordered the macadamia brioche french toast ($9.95) and another cup of Kona, while Anthony had pancakes, eggs, and spam, with a side of rice -- he's such a local. My portions were tiny, which meant that, for once, it was the perfect size for me. Encrusted with macadamia nuts and topped with whipped cream and maple syrup, my two slices of french toast were a perfect start to a day of exploring the volcanoes.